Tuesday, May 13, 2014

NGS 2014 Conference: Day 4

Saturday was the fourth and final day of our National Genealogical Society 2014 Conference in Richmond, Virginia.  My dear friend Rhonda Holden had to leave for home Saturday morning.
Due to being up past my bedtime at the NGS banquet Friday night, I began my day at the 9:30 a.m. session S411 "Rich, Poor, and All the Rest: Why Class Matters to Genealogists" presented by Stafani Evans.  We learned that class is a group sharing the same economic group.

The 11:00 session I chose was Julie Miller's S421 "Organizing Your Research without Losing Your Mind".  We learned methods of organizing digital and paper records.

My last session of the conference was at 2:30 when I attended Barbara Vines Little's S441 "Working with Documents:  The Importance of Context in Record Analysis".  We learned to "study the pieces, but look at the whole."

I went to the exhibit hall one last time and bought software, quick sheets, and books I knew I couldn't live without.  I also renewed my APG membership for two years and my Genealogy Gems Premium membership.

I ended the day with dinner at Chili's with my ProGen 22 mentor, Debbie Hooper, where we had a ringside seats to the massive thunderstorm that swept through Richmond.

I was both saddened and excited that this was the end of the conference.  I met a lot of great people, got to spend time with my good friend Rhonda Holden, and learned many new things that I can't wait to put into practice.

Now I can start planning for NGS 2015 in St. Charles, Missouri!





1 comment: