Monday, May 12, 2014

NGS 2014 Conference: Day 3

My Day 3 of the National Genealogical Society's 2014 Conference in Richmond, Virginia started off at 8:00 a.m. with Dawne Slater-Putt's F301 "Indexes and Databases".  She showed us how to find them and gave us tips on using them.

At 9:30, I attended Sharon Tate Moody's "Disputes and Unhappy Differences:  Surprises in Land Records" and learned that their is often a wealth of family information in land records.

The 11:00 a.m. session I chose was Michael Hait's "Of Sound Mind and Healthy Body":  Using Probate Records in Your Research". We learned the many types of information that can be gleaned from bonds, wills and estate inventories.

At 2:30, it was time for Judy G. Russell's "The Seanachie:  Linking Life and the Law Through Storytelling".  We learned that story telling is the oldest form of education and that it is easier for people to remember facts if they are put in the form of a story.

My 4:00 session was "Black Sheep Ancestors and Their Records" presented by C. Ann Staley. She talked about where to find the records that prove the stories of our Black Sheep ancestors.

Friday night my friend Rhonda Holden and I attended the NGS Banquet which was a 50 year celebration for the accreditation and certification programs of the Board for Certification of Genealogists and the International Commission for the Accreditation of Professional Genealogists hosted by David E. Rencher.  I was out past my bedtime, which led to a very long Saturday and the reason I am writing this on the following Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment