Saturday, September 10, 2011

Oh, George! Where Fore Art Thou?

Now that I live 20 minutes away from the Family History Library in Salt Lake City, Utah, my research will be easier and all my brick walls will come tumbling down, right?  ah...no!  I still can't find my great grandfather, George David Roberts, or his family on the 1860 U.S. Census for White County, Tennesse...or ANY county in Tennessee...or ANYWHERE in the United States! 

In 1850, McMinn County, Tennessee, a George Roberts is listed with his parents, William and Harriet (Owens) Roberts and brother James.  I am fairly certain this is my George. 

In 1870, George is listed with his wife, Susannah (Sparkman) and her children, John Stipe and Mary Stipe in White County, Tennessee.  I KNOW this is my George. 

But WHERE was he hiding in 1860 when the census taker came knocking on his door?  He would have been about 10 at the time.  Could he be hiding in plain sight with a horribly misspelled last name?  Could he have been living with relatives, since it was around the time that his mother died?  Could his family be listed in a census substitue for McMinn, White, Van Buren or surrounding counties?

These are the questions that keep me awake at night.. planning my NEXT trip to the Family History Library.

No comments:

Post a Comment